Wednesday 17 August 2011

Tick tock, tick tock.

No no, that's not my biological clock ticking. Well, I suppose it is, but I think really my mother may have to accept the fact she is unlikely to get grandchildren from me. Even if I find the perfect guy children are not my thing.

My question is, how long is it acceptable to leave a message on an internet dating site before responding to it? This whole internet dating thing has thrown up a huge new world of etiquette that I am not so sure about. If I were doing this in the real world, I'd just reach for my handy Penguin guide to Australian etiquette, but this is something completely new.

Say I see the profile of a guy I think is nice. I send him a wink/nudge/poke/flirt/whatever they are. How long is it acceptable for him to take to respond? Should I give it a few days? Or if I can see he has been active on the site for a couple of days without a response, should I archive him straight away? It is so confusing!! Does the fact that someone looks at my profile but chooses not to initiate contact mean that he isn't interested at all? Or does he just need more time to consider?

GAAAHHHHH! I thought this internet dating was supposed to make things easier! It sounds like it would - you just sift through profiles until you find one you like, make contact, happy days! But no it is not like that at all. It raises so many new questions and sometimes I just think it might be easier to go back to my plan of being alone with cats....

I used to love clocks - my grandparents had heaps of them and I liked the idea of sitting and watching time move while I felt completely unchanged. It seemed to bring me some sort of peace. I'm not sure I like it so much now - I still like clocks (my favourite is below) but the moving of time seems so relentless. I think that's my deep thought for the year...



No comments:

Post a Comment